Sorry, I’m still stuck on oil and water. Here are two from another session. The oil matters. Mineral oil was a complete failure. Olive oil was better and gave me a good assortment of bubble sizes. In this session, I experimented with black light and florescent paint. The paint was on white paper about 8 inches below the pie plate.
This is the last in this first series of oil and water photographs I created a couple of weeks ago. In this one, I added some paprika to the mix and kept the marbles. I had also added some red pepper flakes, but decided it wasn’t working and so removed them as best as I could. There may still be one or two floating around in this composition, but they’re not obvious. At this point, the chemistry of my bubbles started breaking down what with all the extra components and I had to dump the contents of my first experiment down the drain.
A friend told me about “oil and water” photography and suggested I might want to give it a try. So I googled it, and it did indeed intrigue me. I made this photo by mixing oil and water in a glass pie plate, placing it on a clear glass table top, and placing a colorful ceramic dish on the shelf under the table top (directly below the pie plate). I then shone a bright LED flashlight on different areas of the ceramic plate to create bright highlights. I’ll show more results in upcoming posts.